Welcome

Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am brand new to this so hope you will encourage me in my new pursuit of blogging by posting a comment to help me keep going. I think this is all going to be a bit of a journey so hope you might find something that will interest you. I have long had dreams of having something in print and this seems like the best way to go about it...and it's free!!
The only writing I have ever really done is a shopping list every now and again and I always manage to lose that on route to the supermarket so it's never done me much good.

So, here's to blogging and here's to maybe making a few new friends through it.

Rachel.

Thursday 31 December 2009

To quote an oft-used phrase, where has this year gone? In fact, where has this decade gone? When I think back to how we all anticipated the year 2000 and now here we are at the beginning of another decade. It's been a decade of many changes, including becoming the wife of the Vicar that lives here. ( I was his wife before that but you know what I mean....)

This decade has certainly been what can only be described as the busiest decade of my life. Completing our family in 2001 with the twins adding to the other 2 has meant a decade of domesticity at which I do not excel really. Washing, cooking, shopping, cleaning, looking after sick kids, and making sure everyone always gets to where there supposed to be without being too horribly late kinda sums it all up really.

It all sounds incredibly dull to be honest and yet it has been the most satisfying decade of my life. These four beautiful, full on, loud, sociable, exasperating, anxiety-inducing, joy bringing bundles of life have turned my world upside down and brought me more fulfilment than i could ever have imagined.

It's just that I struggle with the practicalities if life sometimes...well, often. I don't understand why the socks never match up or why a hearty meal never seems to fill anyone up for longer than half an hour and why there is always something odd in the fruit bowl ( usually the latest Brownie or Scout badge that I still haven't sewn on) and why, despite years, of trying my children still do not go to bed at a suitable time.

I guess the last decade has taught me that life is never what you expect. Some things don't work out as well as one had hoped but other things are infinitely better than one could ever have believed possible.

I can only testify to the grace of God in my life over the last decade as he has given me strength to cope with changes, stresses, blessings and joys.

So, for this next decade, which isn't going to be any quieter, I shall resign myself to the fact that socks will never match, kids will always be hungry and badges won't be sewn on. I don't think I shall ever sort myself out in the remembering people's birthdays but maybe, with yet more of God's grace in my life I will be able to discern better what are the really important things in life and treasure the blessings and perceive God's hand in all things.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!

Love,

Rachel.



2 comments:

Anna O'Connell said...

Happy New Year, Rachel! My kids' socks never match up either! But they do seem to be fairly happy and growing.

Sinful Theology said...

Embrace the unmatched socks! It makes for an easier life all round. I purposefully mismatch all our socks now - it's less time consuming because you can randomly throw them into drawers without bothering to pair them, i's cheaper because you just throw out (darn, cut up for dusters, whatevr!) the one with a hole, and if you're lucky, shops sell off their odd ones really really cheaply in the sales! :)

Sinful's Wife