Welcome

Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am brand new to this so hope you will encourage me in my new pursuit of blogging by posting a comment to help me keep going. I think this is all going to be a bit of a journey so hope you might find something that will interest you. I have long had dreams of having something in print and this seems like the best way to go about it...and it's free!!
The only writing I have ever really done is a shopping list every now and again and I always manage to lose that on route to the supermarket so it's never done me much good.

So, here's to blogging and here's to maybe making a few new friends through it.

Rachel.

Tuesday 16 March 2010

Despite my long gaps between writing entries on this blog, I have actually discovered that I like writing. This has come as a bit of a surprise to me. When I was at school my English teacher used to chastise me on a regular basis because I used to write the number of words I had written in the margin in order that I could stop the dreaded assignment the moment I had written the required number of words.

This does , of course, show immense laziness on my part that I couldn't be bothered to write any more than was absolutely necessary but also a complete lack of engagement with anything I was doing at school. It wasn't only English but maths ( I was just numerate enough to be able to count the words of my English essays), science, history....you get the picture.

So, to discover this enjoyment of writing is a bit like discovering a lovely birthday present some days after the birthday itself. I've also discovered that I'm not bad at writing. Don't get me wrong. I'm not for one moment suggesting that I am in any way in the running for some great literary prize but what joy to realise that I can string a sentence together and even make a paragraph!!!!

Funny how things work out really. I even enjoy studying now...not everything but stuff that interests me now that never did before. For example, I'm doing some stuff on a story from the gospel of Luke, the Prodigal Son, at the moment and I love it. It's that most amazing story, beautifully written, just the right length to keep you interested, 3 fascinating characters and the most unbelievable twist at the end. It is the perfect story. I've been looking at it for quite a while now and still I've not plumbed its depths. I never felt this way about Shakespeare or algebra and most certainly not about hockey!!!

So, I'm off to do more reading and writing and just for the record this blog is 345 words, or there~abouts!


Love,

Rachel.



1 comment:

Jack said...

Rachel,
I think you're doing better than just stringing a few sentences together and that's not friend's bias either, or I'd not comment.
Find your pieces inciteful, inspiring and amusing, which is always welcome.
Thanks for sharing, please don't stop.
Jack x